Welcome to Louisiana
This is the official UK tourism website for the state of Louisiana and New Orleans. You will find information on Louisiana and New Orleans tourism for visitors to help plan your trip, with things to do in Louisiana, lists of Louisiana attractions, Louisiana festivals and much more!
Louisiana’s unique people and its rich history, culture and landscapes have been featured in numerous books and stories over the years. Now you can experience this for yourself by visiting the state that boast fabulous cuisine, music that sets your soul free, hundreds of year round festivals, a diverse, exotic and colourful history, Tax Free Shopping and good ol’ Southern hospitality!
Top 10 for Louisiana
- Watch the Mardi Gras parades from a grandstand in New Orleans,
- Visit Plantation Country – step back into the history of the South and the importance of these grand homes.
- Take a walking Cocktail Tour in New Orleans, the birthplace of the cocktail. French 75 or Sazerac the choice is yours.
- Experience a Courir de Mardi Gras, the traditional Cajun Mardi Gras in Lafayette.
- Take in an American Football game at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge home of Louisiana State University.
- Visit the Creole Nature Trail in Lake Charles, over 180 miles on 1 of 43 designated Scenic Byways in the USA.
- Try your hand at a Louisiana Cooking School, available throughout the state.
- Kayak on the Bayous and waterways of Louisiana, viewing Louisiana’s wildlife up close. Alternatively and airboat or swamp boat for those feeling less energetic.
- Music! Visit a Jazz club in the city that gave birth to the Jazz sound, why not visit Preservation Hall one of the most famous music venues in the US.
- Eat! You will not go hungry in Louisiana from Shreveport in the North with its BBQ influences to New Orleans in the South, Cajun and Creole culinary experiences and flavours abound.
- There is an energy in the Big Easy which is as unique as the architecture and the locals.
- New Orleans is the city that never sleeps, open 24 hours a day with a love for life that is contagious.
- Walk through the 17th century cobbled streets, relax with a cocktail in a sun drenched courtyard or enjoy street theatre in the French Quarter that delights in budding artists.
- New Orleans really does have something for everyone with each day a new adventure!
- Lafayette is located in Cajun Country, where the French Colonists settled in the 1750’s and today is the centre of the Cajun culture.
- Visit the living museums showing all aspects of Cajun life during the 1700’s.
- Enjoy and experience the culture through the music & food of these hardy, creative and innovative people living off of the stunningly beautiful bayous for over 300 years.
- The Creole Nature Trail is one of 31 driving experiences known as an ”All American Road”.
- This area is home to the “Louisiana Outback“ a habitat to many unique species of birds and wildlife, not forgetting the local alligator population!
- Enjoy being up close and personal with these creatures along 180 miles of bayous, marshlands and beaches.
- The state capital of Louisiana has big things happening and you don’t want to miss it!
- Baton Rouge is a charming city that has gracefully merged the past with the energy and excitement of the present.
- From every direction, everything Louisiana culminates with Baton Rouge as a hub for historical sites, art museums, great shopping, night club, music venues and wonderful dining options.
- Shreveport is located north west of the state on the border with Texas in the Louisiana region called Sportsman’s Paradise.
- Cajun Cowboys abide with its own unique combination of two great American heritages that sets Shreveport-Bossier apart.
- You’ll find the combination reflected in our mouth-watering dining, where flavourful steak may be combined with spicy crawfish.
- Find it in the music, with nightclubs and concerts for jazz, country, bluegrass, folk, zydeco and everything in between.
- There’s no place like it in America, a world of colour and sound, taste and entertainment, elegant Southern charm and a relaxed attitude that suggest you kick off your boots and stay a while.
Whether you are exploring the bayous of Cajun Country, the gardens of North Louisiana or the nightlife in New Orleans there is no corner of Louisiana that should go unturned. See what Louisiana has to offer and "laissez les bon temps rouler"...let the good times roll!