Culture and Cuisine in Alabama
Beauty, history, culture and adventure all come together in “ Sweet Home Alabama”, a state rich in everything from world-class golf to white-sand beaches. It’s a place where each meal is a celebration and each town has a story. Alabama and Alabamians are the epitome of Southern hospitality – ever ready to show.
Culture in Alabama
A land of history, culture and scenery, Alabama's antebellum mansions, Civil War and civil rights conflicts exist alongside oak trees draped in Spanish moss, sun-drenched beaches and the music of America. Around the world people have heard the hit song Sweet Home Alabama. Alabama's music heritage includes legendary artists and Mardi Gras bands. They sing gospel in their churches and dance to blues, country and jazz in the bars. They dish up meals of mouth-watering barbecue and fresh from the gulf seafood from their own fishing village, Bayou La Batré.
Eufaula, in Alabama, hosts an annual Pilgrimage Tour, Alabama's Oldest Tour of Homes and consists of tours of various homes as well as antique show, art show and wine tasting held every April. They also host The Christmas Tour visiting lovely Southerns homes decorated for Christmas.
Things not to miss in Alabama:
- Visiting Sous La Terre, a weekend blues and jazz club, at midnight in Montgomery, Alabama
- Celebrating Carnival in America's oldest annual Mardi Gras in Mobile, Alabama
- Eating fresh seafood from the fishing village in Forrest Gump, Bayou La Batré near Mobile, Alabama
Cuisine in Alabama
From sophisticated seafood to decadent desserts, Alabama's signature dishes have loyal fans the world over. Stoneground baked grits at Highlands Bar & Grill in Birmingham, Alabama, Oysters at Wintzell's on the Gulf Coast and mouth watering ribs from Dreamland are just a few of the "Sweet Home" specialities. Get the brochure '100 Dishes To Eat In Alabama Before You Die!'.
Don't miss eating in Alabama:
- The Hot & Hot Fish Club in Birmingham, Alabama
- Live music and a 'Cheeseburger in Paradise' at Lu-Lu's Homeport Marina on the Gulf Coast in Alabama
- Alabama's wonderful Food Festivals throughout the state!
2016 is the Year Of Alabama Makers
Alabama Tourism launches the Year of Alabama Makers to celebrate the state's music, food & shopping!