Top 10 Music Attractions in Alabama
Alabama's diverse musical roots make it a great place to visit for all music-lovers. Country, Blues, Rock, Gospel, Jazz, Soul, and R&B all have a strong place in the musical culture of the state. Immerse yourself in musical history in 'Sweet Home Alabama'! Here's our round-up of the attractions not to be missed...
- Muscle Shoals in Northern Alabama is an area of huge musical influence. It is here that you will find two of the most impactful recording studios in the US - the iconic FAME studios, and Muscle Shoals Sound Studios. To get the most out of your visit, check out our '48 Hours in The Shoals' itinerary.
- Also in The Shoals (and on our itinerary), but worthy of a separate mention, is the Alabama Music Hall of Fame. Here, Alabama's great music achievers are honoured and showcased.
- If you're a fan of music festivals, Alabama is a great place to be! Throughout the year, there are various festivals which showcase the amazing musical diversity of the state. Festival highlights include the W.C. Handy Festival, and the Hank Williams Festival.
- Speaking of festivals, why not schedule your visit for February to take in the Alabama Mardi Gras in Mobile? Like its New Orleans counterpart, this is a full-on street party, with elaborate floats, costumes, and marching bands.
- Jazz lovers just have to make time to see the Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame in Birmingham. Here the musical pioneers who shaped Jazz history are honoured, and their work and lives showcased in the many exhibits. Jazz icons such as Nat King Cole and Dinah Washington all began their journeys to Jazz greatness in Alabama.
- With such eclectic musical heritage, visiting some of the many live music venues in Alabama is a must! There are so many to choose from, with every musical taste being catered for.
- If you fancy combining beach-life and live music, then the renowned Flora-Bama Lounge in Gulf Shores is definitely for you! With five music stages and an outside beachfront bar area, this is Alabama at its laid-back best!
- Country Music enthusiasts should make time during their Alabama stay to visit the Hank Williams Museum, celebrating the life and music of one of the most famous country singers of all time.
- Another museum well worth adding to the itinerary is the W.C. Handy Museum & Library in Florence. Commemorating 'The Father of The Blues', it charts his life and work through an impressive collection of Handy's personal letters, artefacts, and memorabilia.
- If you want a music-themed Alabama trip, then our 14 day Music Tour Through Alabama is worth considering. Taking in all the key locations and attractions, this is every musical heritage enthusiast's perfect tour!
If you want any further information, please do get in touch with our state experts - we are always happy to help you plan your perfect holiday!