The Mint Julep is a fine Southern tradition dating back to the 18th Century, as well as being the official drink of the Kentucky Derby since 1938. Louisville has designated April as “Mint Julep Month®” since 2013, celebrating the official cocktail of the Derby and the arrival of Spring.
Today, more than 120,000 Mint Juleps are served over Derby weekend at the historic Churchill Downs racetrack in Louisville. Mint Julep Month is a fantastic way to get in the Derby spirit but even if you’re not planning a visit to Louisville you can view our online recipe or watch a you tube video to learn how to make one at home from the hosts of Bourbon & Biscuits.
If you’re visiting Louisville this April as soon as you land at the Louisville International Airport you’ll find an 8 x 10ft wall of greenery constructed entirely of 700+ fresh mint plants. There are tours, parties, classes & more!
Mint Julep Month Events
To find minty-fresh happenings around town, click here.
The Louisville Bats – the minor league baseball affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds – is rebranding as the Derby City Mint Juleps for two home games at the Louisville Slugger Field. The team will wear custom Mint Julep caps and jerseys, plus Mint Juleps will be served in commemorative cups at both games.
Shopping & Gifts
- Art Eatables – Maker’s Mark Mint Julep truffles.
- A Taste of Kentucky – Mint Julep cups, mixers, books, platters, clothing accessories and more.
- The Bakery at Sullivan University - Mint chocolate brownies.
- Bourbon Barrel Foods – Mint Julep cups, sugar, simple syrup and candles.
- Cellar Door Chocolates – Mint Julep Bourbon Balls.
- Clayton & Crume – Mint Julep coasters and canvas belt.
- Evan Williams Bourbon Experience – Mint Julep mix for sale on site at the distillery.
- Jim Beam Urban Stillhouse – Handcrafted Blackberry infused Mint Julep made with Jim Beam Bonded, mixed with 10 mint leaves, real blackberry syrup and garnished with a fresh blackberry and mint sprig.
- Kentucky Derby Museum gift shop – Assorted Mint Julep items, including Vineyard Vines Mint Julep ties and bow ties.
- Louisville Stoneware – Variety of julep cups, including one featuring a hand-painted Mint Julep recipe.
- Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory - Mint Julep cups and muddlers on sale.
- Louisville Visitor Center – Mint Julep lip balm, cups, magnets, soaps and more.
- Mint Julep Experiences – Mint Julep-inspired merchandise at the Mint Julep Gift Shop in the Galt House Hotel, including silver julep cups, t-shirts, mixers and more.
- Moss Hill Bath & Body Collection – Mint Julep-scented soaps, candles, lip balm, sugar scrub, linen spray, cocktail kits and more.
- Woodford Reserve – Mint Julep simple syrup, Bourbon balls and julep cups.
Eat & Drink
- ALEX&NDER – Several Mint Juleps to illustrate the brandy, gin, absinthe and liqueur produced in the downstairs distillery, Copper & Kings.
- Bottle & Bond Kitchen and Bar – Taking a sweet spin on the Derby classic with its Mint Julep Milkshake. Enjoy crème de menthe with mint chocolate chip ice cream, a chocolate sandwich cookie, whipped cream and chocolate drizzle.
- The Bristol Bar & Grille – Three special Mint Juleps will be on the menu for Mint Julep Month, including the Garden Julep (inc. fresh herbs of rosemary, mint and basil with Buffalo Trace and Drambuie, served on the rocks); Royal Julep (Evan Williams Bottled in Bond and Benedictine with fresh mint and simple syrup, served over crushed ice); and the Bristol Julep (Old Forester Bourbon with a touch of white crème de menthe, Benedictine and fresh aromatic herb infused simple syrup, served in a martini glass on the rocks).
- Decca - The Absent Minded Derby made with house mint syrup, Herbsaint, fresh lime juice, soda water and Old Forester Signature Bourbon.
- Derby Cafe Express - Mint Juleps are available every day at the café in the Kentucky Derby Museum, where you can celebrate Derby every day.
- Doc Crow’s Southern Smokehouse and Raw Bar - Mint Julep Lemonade, which adds a splash of tangy and refreshing lemon to the traditional simple syrup, Bourbon and mint recipe. Or, try a Near Eastern Julep, which uses basil instead of mint and ginger syrup, combined with Old Grand Dad Bottled-in-Bond and Becherovka liqueur to add a warm, spicy clove flavour.
- Garage Bar – Market Street Julep, which features Michter's small-batch Bourbon, house made lemongrass, sucanat syrup, Prosecco, Angostura bitters. Garnished with mint and lemongrass stalk.
- George’s Bar at Old Forester Distillery – If you don’t have time to take a Cocktail Class at George’s Bar, stop in for an Old Forester 86 Julep or make one of their many julep creations you that you can find here.
- HopCat Louisville – offers a Mint Julep on its “Cat Tails” menu featuring Copper & Kings Brandy, Framboise and fresh mint.
- Merle's Whiskey Kitchen - Maker's Mint Julep features a classic take on the Mint Julep using homemade simple syrup, powdered sugar, fresh mint and Maker’s Mark Bourbon.
- Pizza LUPO – Bourbon and Kola Julep featuring Old Forester Signature Bourbon and Amaro Meletti, along long with crushed ice, mint and a powdered sugar sprinkle on top.
- Porch Kitchen & Bar at the Louisville Marriott Downtown – Mint Julep Sweet Tea.
- Quills Coffee - Hunter S. Thompson said, "The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved" and so is our drink. The Mint Brewlep, with the option to add the sweetness and complexity of Makers Mark. A refreshing iced coffee drink with cream, a vanilla mint syrup and an (optional) splash of Bourbon.
- Ramsi’s Café on the World – A Horse of a Different Colour – a cool minted chocolate julep featuring Maker’s Mark 46, chocolate mint, vanilla Demerara syrup, crushed ice and a brûléed orange slice to garnish.
- The Brown Hotel – This historic spot honours the classic Kentucky cocktail featuring Jim Beam Bourbon, mint sprigs, simple syrup and crushed ice and garnished with powdered sugar. Complete your Derby experience by having your Mint Julep with a traditional Hot Brown.
For further information on any of these events email email@example.com.