Home alone and craving outdoor adventure? The Alabama Tourism Department will be dedicating 2020 “The Alabama Year of Natural Wonders” which launched on Earth Day, 22 April 2020.
Although travel enthusiasts may be limited to how they can enjoy Alabama’s natural wonders while on stay-at-home orders, there are still many ways to escape to Sweet Home Alabama.
From hiking, caves, waterfalls, birdwatching, paddling trails and more... as part of the Alabama Year of Natural Wonders, the state tourism department is releasing its 20 for 2020 list of the state’s most magnificent natural wonders. Travellers are encouraged to experience these natural wonders, even if only virtually for the near term.
Guests can tour Cathedral Caverns or escape to the pristine beaches on the Gulf… all from the comfort of their couch. A new webpage devoted to national, state and public parks is a great place to start.
“We are looking forward to the days when all travellers can again enjoy the beauty of Sweet Home Alabama in person,” said Lee Sentell, director of the Alabama Tourism Department. “Until then, we hope guests will welcome these virtual experiences that are available from the safety of their home.”
The 20 for 2020 list of Alabama Natural Wonders include:
- Gulf Coast Beaches, Gulf Shores and Orange Beach
- Mount Cheaha (pictured above), Delta
- Cathedral Caverns, Woodville
- The Mobile-Tensaw Delta, Spanish Fort
- Dismals Canyon, Phil Campbell
- Alabama’s Natural Bridge, Natural Bridge
- Alabama Coastal Birding Trail, Mobile and Baldwin counties
- Cahaba Lilies, West Blocton
- DeSoto Caverns, Childersburg
- Pinhoti Trail, East Alabama
- Rickwood Caverns, Warrior
- Wetumpka Crater, Wetumpka
- Little River Canyon, Fort Payne
- Sipsey Wilderness, Northwest Alabama
- Red Mountain and Park, Birmingham
- Noccalula Falls, Gadsden
- Walls of Jericho Trail, Estillfork
- Bankhead National Forest, Double Springs
- Cahaba River, Central Alabama
- White Cliffs of Epes, Epes
For more information about Alabama’s Natural Wonders, visit AlabamaNaturalWonders.com.
In addition to enjoying the virtual opportunities available, guests can also download the Alabama Road Trips mobile app for more inspiration and assistance in planning their next road trip. They can also reminisce on their Alabama travel memories by creating a free Photo ALbum.