The African American Heritage Trail
This statewide heritage trail leads visitors in the footsteps of celebrated and everyday African Americans who helped shape the Louisiana state. Plantations, universities, churches and art museums showcase all feceets of African American contributions, from academic to artistic. Learn more about the lives, lifestyles and livelihoods of Louisiana's pioneering African Americans by following all or part of the trail.
A few trail locations:
- Northeast Louisiana Delta African American Heritage Museum, Monroe
- Hermione Museum, Tallulah
- St. Augustine Catholic Church, Natchez
- Arna Bontemps African American Museum, Alexandria
- Black Heritage Gallery, Lake Charles
- Creole Heritage Folklore Centre, Opelousas
- St. Martinville African American Museum, St. Martinville
- Southern University Museum of Art, Baton Rouge
- Laura Plantation, Vacherie
- Tangipahoa African American Heritage Museum, Hammond
Louisiana's African American Heritage Trail is takes you to 33 sites around the state, bringing together histories, personalities and achievements in a way that no single museum ever could. Visit AStoryLikeNoOther.com for stories, photos, intineraries, maps and the free iPhone app.