Southern Fried Chicken with Mustard Slaw
For the chicken:
8 skinless chicken thighs
200g self-raising flour
large pinch of paprika
turmeric and cayenne pepper
8 tsp vegetable oil
- Heat oven to 200C
- Place chicken in a bowl and pour over milk.
- Place spices and flour in a separate bowl and mix.
- Take half of the chicken thighs, shake off any excess moisture and coat in the flour mix. Now place in a deep fat fryer for approx. 5 minutes, or until golden. Lay on a rack and repeat the process. Bake for approx. 20 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 160oC.
For the mustard slaw:
½ small white cabbage sliced into matchsticks
2 carrots, sliced into matchsticks
6 spring onions peeled trimmed and diced
2 tsp rapeseed oil
2 tsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp wholegrain mustard
2 tbsp yoghurt
2 tbsp crème fraiche
2 tspn orange juice
2 tbsp toasted sunflower seed
- Mix the cabbage and carrot matchsticks together in a bowl with the spring onions. Season with pepper and a pinch of salt, then chill for 1-2 hrs (optional).
- Mix together the oil, vinegar and mustard in a bowl. Stir in the yogurt, crème fraîche and orange juice. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the veggies, add the sunflower seeds and toss together. Let is sit for 10-15 mins to blend the flavours.
To complete your Southern meal how about finishing off with a Mississippi Mud Pie and making a Classic Sweet Tea or some homemade Southern Lemonade to wash it all down.