Celebrating Kentucky's Equestrian Heritage
To celebrate Kentucky’s equestrian heritage and the famous Kentucky Derby we are giving you the chance to win a bottle of Bourbon with two traditional mint julep cups.
In the Bluegrass State there are many great ways to see horses work and play, among millions of acres of beautiful farm land dedicated to our equine friends. There are horse farms tours for you to enjoy, training centres and breakfast at the track. You can follow the complete journey of the Thoroughbred from birth through their racing career all the way to retirement - it’s a fascinating story.
To be in win a chance of winning, just answer the following question. Our blog item might also help!
At which race course does the Kentucky Derby take place each year?
THIS COMPETITION HAS NOW CLOSED!
*If you have entered this competition following our Facebook page, this promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. Upon entering, you understand that you are providing your information to Deep South USA, the owner of our Facebook page and associated website, and not to Facebook*
Virtual Elvis Week
To celebrate Elvis Week with a difference this year, we are giving away three highly collectible ‘First of Day Issue’ Elvis stamps along with a FREE pass to the Virtual Elvis Week event taking place 8th-16th August 2020 on Facebook.
The first-ever Virtual Elvis Week is your chance to enjoy all the fun of Elvis Week from the comfort of your home. Tickets (on sale via Graceland at $39) include access to a mix of past Elvis Week concerts and panels, new interviews with bandmates, co-stars and friends, new behind-the-scenes Graceland Archives content, a look back at previous Candlelight Vigils and much more! Read our blog to see the planned schedule.
All you have to do is enter your details below and please be aware that you MUST have a Facebook account to join and participate in the Virtual Elvis Week.
THIS COMPETITION HAS NOW CLOSED
* closing date for entries is midday on Wednesday 5th August 2020. Three winners will be selected at random and each will win one 'First Day of Issue' stamp and a log-in pass to the Virtual Elvis Week event. Only one entry per person. Virtual Elvis Week schedule is subject to change.
To celebrate National Bourbon Day, taking place in Kentucky on 14th June, we are giving away a bottle of Kentucky Bourbon. We will randomly select one winner at 12:00pm on Monday 15th June.
Kentucky is the front porch of the South, making 95% of the world’s bourbon, but horses and bluegrass all also their signatures! All distilleries in the state, including those along the famous Kentucky Bourbon Trail®, offer a range of distinctive tastes, tours and experiences. When the spirit leads you to Kentucky you will be able to discover history, heritage and your favourite bourbon! We are looking forward to welcoming you in Kentucky soon, but in the meantime …
Happy National Bourbon Day from everyone in Kentucky!
Read our blog for more information on National Bourbon Day (and it might help you with the question)
To enter our competition answer the following question:
What month does the Kentucky Bourbon Festival take place in Bardstown?
THIS COMPETITION HAS NOW CLOSED!
Terms and Conditions:
- To enter simply send your name, email and daytime telephone number via the deep-south-usa.com/national-bourbon-day-competition website.
- Closing date for entries 12:00pm 14th June 2020. Winner will be announced the following working day.
- No purchase is required.
- Only one entrance per household.
- Entrants must be 18 years and over.
- Entrants must be residents of the UK
- One winner will be randomly drawn from the entrants and will win a bottle of Kentucky Bourbon.
- No cash alternative to the prize is available.
- Entries made using automated competition entry systems or similar are not allowed. If we believe such a system has been used we reserve the right to disqualify these entries.
- The promoter’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Competition prizes, special offers and promotional vouchers cannot be exchanged, extended or refunded.
- Any entry into the free prize draw will be taken as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- 20 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1½ stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup double cream
- 2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- Kentucky bourbon, to taste
- Melt chocolate and butter in a bowl, being careful not to overheat or burn it.
- In a separate pot, heat the heavy cream, corn syrup and salt until simmering. Pour over top of the chocolate mixture and let stand for 2 minutes. Stir until blended and then add bourbon to taste.
- Chill mixture overnight or until set, then scoop and shape into small truffle-sized balls. Chill truffles for one hour before coating.
- Before serving, toss truffles in any number of toppings of your choice – cocoa, icing sugar, toasted coconut, nuts, etc.
Louisiana Films & TV
Here's a list of some of Louisiana's most famous films and shows:
Four friends (Regina Hall, Jada Pinkett Smith, Tiffany Haddish and Queen Latifah) are in for the adeventure of a lifetime when they travel to New Orleans for the Essence Festival.
Elvis starts as Danny Fisher, a juvenile delinquent who works his way up from bus boy to nightclub singer, only to fall in with a bunch of gangsters and criminals. Danny wants to do things the honest way, but mobster Maxie Fields (Walter Matthau) is determined to get the young fellow playing on his team. Musical numbers include ‘King Creole’, ‘Hard-Headed Woman’, ‘Trouble’ and ‘Lover Doll’.
12 Years A Slave
From acclaimed director Steve McQueen comes the incredible true story of one man’s fight for survival and freedom.
Starring: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Benedict Cumberbatch
With a contemporary version of the beloved stage play and classic film, Steel Magnolias chronicles the lives and friendship of six women in Louisiana. Supporting each other through triumphs and tragedies, they congregate at Truvy’s Beauty Spot to ponder the mysteries of life and death, husbands and children – all the important issues that truly unite and celebrate women.
Based on a Stephen King novel, Death Row guards at a penitentiary, in the 1930s, have a moral dilemma with their jobs, when they discover one of their prisoners, a convicted murderer, has healing powers.
Adapted from a John Grisham best seller, this film stars Julia Roberts as sharp-witted law student Darby Shaw, who finds herself the target for murder when her thesis determining why two US justices were killed falls into the wrong hands. Supported by Washington based journalist Gray Grantham (Densel Washington), she seeks to find out who is behind the threats against her life.
TV Box Sets
NCIS New Orleans
NCIS: New Orelans is a drama about the local field office that investigates criminal cases affecting military personnel in The Big Easy, a city known for its music, entertainment and decadence.
Anna Paquin stars as Sookie Stackhouse, a Louisiana waitress with telepathic powers whose life changes forever when 173-year-old vampire Bill Compton (Stephen Moyer) walks into her place of work. The first season of the offbeat vampire drama series penned by ‘American Beauty’ and ‘Six Feet Under’ writer Alan Ball.
This US drama series is set in New Orleans, from the creators of ‘The Wire’. The programme focusses on one of the city’s neighbourhoods where its residents are attempting to rebuild their lives after the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Wendell Pierce, John Goodman, Melissa Leo, Steve Zahn and Khandi Alexander star as some of the diverse characters living in New Orleans.
If you are interested in reading books set in or about Louisiana, click here.